Below you can find various glossary of terms which are used in router administration and network troubleshooting.
- DNS(Domain Name System): The Domain Name System(DNS) is basically used in translating domain name into IP Address. As domain names are alphabetic so you can easily remember domain names. But if we talk about internet then it is actually based upon IP address.
- MAC Address: Media Access Control(MAC) Address of an electronic device or wireless router is unique identifier which is assigned for communications at the data link layer of a network segment to the network interface controllers. MAC Address is basically 48-bit number with hexadecimal digits.
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol(TCP/IP): TCP/IP protocol is basically used for identifying various electronic devices and grouping them into networks. Currently the version of IP that is in use is IPv4. But as the number of devices are increasing at a rapid pace we would soon require new version of IP and that is IPv6 in near future.
- Gateway: A gateway is basically nothing but a piece of networking hardware or router which is used as a key stopping point for data on its way to or from other networks. Gateway basically check the address of destination device and then dispatch the packet to another electronic device or subnet or target computer.
- Ethernet: Ethernet is basically nothing but a LAN technology and it is most widely used. In TCP/IP stack, Ethernet is a link layer protocol which basically describes how networked devices can format data for transmission to other network devices on the same network segment, and how to put that data out on the network connection.
- WiFi(Wireless Fidelity): This term is basically used for few types of wireless local area networks with devices based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. WiFi stands for Wireless Fidelity and this technology is used to connect to internet wirelessly.
- Local Area Network(LAN): Local Area Network or LAN is basically a group of computers connected together to form a network in a relatively smaller area. A LAN is basically confined only to a single room or a building or a group of buildings.
- Wide Area Network(WAN): Wide Area Network is basically a computer network that extends over a large geographical distance. Mostly WAN is privately rented but at some places there are WAN public networks.
- Metropolitan Area Network(MAN): Metropolitan Area Network or MAN is basically a computer network in which computers are connected in a larger area as compared to the area that is covered by Local Area Network or LAN.